An executive summary previews the details of an in-depth report, it is published for nontechnical individuals who don’t have enough time to study the primary report consisting of hundreds of pages including the technical and statistical data written by experts. The executive report contains enough details for the reader to get familiar with what is mentioned in the entire report without having to study each and every word of the entire report.
An executive summary is structured in small sections using the same series and order of details that is presented in the main report. This conclusion will never present details that is not
contained in the main report, it will rather merge key principles and justifications in a simple and brief manner. One should not make an effort to set up an executive summary until after the review has been written to prevent losing any significant material included after the planning level.
Tips For Writing Executive Summary
- The executive summary should begin with a brief statement of the main idea. The main idea should be presented in such a manner that if the person reading the summary goes through only with that one statement, he/she will have a sound understanding of what is intended to discuss in it.
- The conclusion should respond to 3 basic and very important questions:
- What was the objective of the report?
- What were major conclusions?
- What are the benefits of the research?
- Examine and recheck punctuation and sentence structure – search for professionals assistance if necessary.
- Special attention should be paid to the last sentence in each section where explanations and details are often finalized.
- Have a friend or colleague study it to see if the conclusion is practical without having study the entire report.
- Analyze the summary critically yourself to answer any questions that can arose in the mind of the reader. Also it should not be boring consisting of unnecessarily long sentences.
- Examine for conversion terms to make sure that there is synchronization between content.
- Write an executive summary according to the executive summary template.
- Keep the executive summary short and to the point.
- Size of the report should not be more than one tenth of the length of entire report.
- Avoid adding unwanted technical details.
- Evaluate illustrations online.
- Examine for needless terms and phrases.
- Examine for unwanted modifiers and adverbs.
- Avoid difficult and complex terminologies, vocabulary and unprofessional phrases that can have bad impact on the reader.
- Use simple and short sentences easily understandable by an executive.
- Proofread and modify the executive summary once you have finished the initial review to make sure it conveys all of the most important information present in the body of the research report in a concise manner. If possible, ask a friend or family member to read the summary to make sure you have presented information in an obvious and easy to understand way.
- The executive summary should be written in a format that grabs the attention of the reader, explains the purpose of the report and problem to be addressed. It should also keep its grasp till the end of the document.
Here is download link for this professional and comprehensive executive summary template,
Download Executive Summary Template